Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My First Published Article!

Recently, I have been wondering if I can do some writing for more than just the blog forum. Dublin has several free community newspapers, and I offered to do some voluntary writing for them. On Monday this week, Southside People ran an article I wrote about the second annual Dodder Day, organized by Dodder Action Dublin. 

The cleanup day was a resounding success, with mounds of trash and garbage of all kinds pulled out of the river and banks by over 250 volunteers, including Yours Truly. I teamed up with two other gents in Milltown to pull out a huge pile of scrap metal from a steep bank. The photo I took of my Milltown teammates was run in page 6 of the print edition of the paper.

I worked with and met some great people at the Donnybrook and Milltown cleanup locations. The hard work of all the volunteers made a big difference, and hopefully inspires the community to care for the priceless natural resources we have.

Here's the online edition.
...And the print edition

Following are some photos taken that day that didn't make the paper.

Dodder Action Dublin Set Out a Great Volunteer Spread
Dodder Action Dublin Set Out a Great Volunteer Spread

Cory With some Trash on Dodder Day 2 Dublin, Ireland
Cory With some Trash

Our Three-Man Milltown Trash Heap Dodder Day in Dublin
Our Three-Man Milltown Trash Heap

Final Milltown Take Dodder Day in Dublin
Final Milltown Take

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. It feels good to be able to do some good with a hobby like writing.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the article. It was a good read and well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting. It was a fun piece to "research" and put together.

      Delete
  3. Great article! I love trashy novels... I mean articles about cleaning up trash :) Did anyone polish the hippo? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I didn't make it as far as the rhino, but I guess it's considered a large piece of litter by a lot of the neighborhood folks. Not everyone loves it as much as you did.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, we'd love to hear what you think! Comments are word verified to prevent SPAM.