Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Great Jettison: Part 9

Old Technology Sold for a Profit?  Hold on to Your Butts!

Sony two-deck cassette player on display before being sold on Craigslist

Like we learned in Jurassic Park (1993)...

...They said Earth Girls are Easy, but this Sattler
chick is a total cold, uh, fish!
   
If by life we mean kick-butt sales!  The above cassette player served me well, from a Dubuque Goodwill store to my high school bedroom to my college dorm to my first two adulthood homes.  Good thing I was able to sell it for more than I bought it after all that use...


When I first listed the player in the photo, I received just one response (besides the ones that went to my SPAM folder before I found out I needed to check it, whoops!) from a man in Dubuque.  While Dubuque happens to be my hometown, it was about 90 minutes away from my location.  He asked me to ship it to him, but I had to refuse.  The cost of shipping the player would have been more than the $5 I was asking for it.  I encouraged him to look elsewhere and wished him luck.

Weeks later, we scheduled a trip to Dubuque to visit family.  On a whim, I sent the cassette head a note telling him I would be in town.  He told me he was still interested, sent me his address, and bada-BING!   The deal was back on.

...And indeed we were, with a much less disastrous (and less exciting)
end than the scene above. 

So, in a very anti-climactic non-twist, we found his place in Dubuque and made the exchange.  I even threw in a few Reba McEntire and Neal McCoy tapes after I saw his email address had the words "country fan" embedded in it.  I'm sure we spent the five crumpled singles I got from it wisely.  Maybe I bought some candy...

Do they have HARIBO gummi colas?

As much as I wish there was more to the story, that's really all there was.  Trust me, if there was more story, you'd get it, and if I could have squeezed in any more Jurassic Park references, I would have.  Believe me when I say that I tried.


Gratuitously Way-Too-Relevant Pic

Top view of Sony dual cassette player
...Just the top of the cassette player, not exciting enough to make
the body of this post, but should be included for journalistic integrity anyway.
As always, read, subscribe, comment, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we'd love to hear what you think! Comments are word verified to prevent SPAM.