Friday, July 18, 2014

Reflections Wrap-up and Future-spective

What have you enjoyed the most so far in Ireland?

Cory
I have generally enjoyed the change in lifestyle of living in Ireland, specifically Dublin. We are adjusting not just to living in another country, but we are also going from the suburbs to the city, from a single family house to a small apartment, from an educated college town to a gritty, diverse international capital. The day-to-day operations in urban Dublin are much different at a basic level, before we even consider the cultural and meteorological differences. It's also nice to take a few years off from mowing the lawn and shoveling snow...

Sara
Although much of the novelty of living in Ireland has worn off, I still love the possibilities presented to us by living here. Most of these are tied to traveling. We still have so much to see! We have barely made it to the west coast of this tiny emerald isle, which seriously needs to be remedied. Living in Dublin, we have the added bonus of extremely easy and inexpensive travel both within Ireland and to other countries in Europe. The ease of traveling can make it hard to quell the travel-bug between trips, but I love that we are in such a fortunate position.

What might you have done differently in the past year, knowing what you know now?

Cory
I feel like we could now be champions of the government bureaucracy battles we fought when we first arrived. Navigating the murky waters of the PPS office, GNIB registration, setting up utilities (especially internet...), and working with phone support were all sweaty palms and elevated heart rates for us. The old adage youth is wasted on the wrong people applies here. Why is it that the people who have the least experience with a new government, a new setting, and new expectations have such great demands made of them? Why can't we NOW fill out our initial paperwork and get our bank account set up?

Sara
I would have adopted a more relaxed and go-with-the-flow attitude more quickly. All of the paperwork Cory listed was very stressful at the time, and I was always worried that we would do something incorrectly or that we would miss an important step. Turns out that people here are generally pretty relaxed, especially when it comes to bureaucracy. Adopting a patient attitude and trusting that everything will work out is critical when the to-do list seems like it's a mile long and that you will never get settled. I should of just made a cup of tea and uttered the tried-and-true Irishism: "Ah sure, it'll be grand". 

What is your new favorite Irish influence or custom?

Cory
For me, maybe the most entertaining social custom I observe here is the loud, open, no-holds-barred distrust of politicians and bankers. We in the States have some implied mistrust of our system in general, but people are generally pretty quiet about their disdain for politicians- except during the occasional political earthquake that sweeps the system. Irish folks in pubs, on the street, and on the radio make no bones about their mistrust of the people they blame for the country going financially nuclear in 2008. "Bunch o'crooks, all of 'em!" is a common, family-friendly sentiment shared around town. I can't speak for pre-crash Ireland, but maybe folks were more trusting of their public figures when the economy was growing like a magic beanstalk?

Sara
I'm enjoying the process of understanding Irish and European sports. It certainly is a process because we have yet to find simple explanations for how all of the different leagues work for all of the various sports. That said, once we were able to figure some of them out, we had a blast following them. Six Nations rugby was thrilling to watch, and the uniqueness of gaelic sports has made them very interesting to learn and follow. I even started to get excited for the World Cup. Who know, maybe over the next couple of years I will be a bona fide soccer fan!

Besides your loved ones, what do you miss most about Iowa?

Cory
For me, it might very well be freshwater river fishing. I have easy access to great stream and ocean fishing here in Dublin, but I don't have nearly three decades of knowledge and practice with these strange and wily fish species. Gone for now are the days when I can walk down to the Iowa River and pull in as many carp as my arms can carry with but a bare hook and a dough ball. Maybe if I live in Ireland for a few more years, I can catch as many trout as I could carp...

Sara
Without a doubt it's the weather. Sara of a year ago would not believe that I am saying that, and all of my friends and family back home will think I'm bananas, but I miss Iowa weather. A mild climate is convenient and comfortable, but it sure gets boring after awhile. I want a day where the buses aren't running because it snowed 6 inches in one hour. I want a day where the skies open up and unleash their fury upon the mere mortals below. I want it to be so hot and humid that I am sweating while just sitting on the couch. I want it to be so cold that my nose hairs freeze and I can't take a full breath without coughing. I don't want it every day, but once in a while it's nice to be reminded who is really in charge in this world. That would be Mother Nature. For some reason, she pretty much gives Ireland a pass, and I have to say I miss her fury. 

About which European travel experiences are you most excited?

Cory
I am looking forward to heading farther east than I've ever been. I particularly am eagerly waiting for a trip to Istanbul, Turkey, where I can walk across the Bosphorus Bridge and stand on the continent of Asia, thus bringing me to a tie with Sara for number of world continents visited. Solo trip to Antarctica for the win?

Sara
Can I say "all of them"? Is that allowed? If I had to rank them, I guess the top of the list would include our plans for a trip to Morocco (ok, not actually Europe, but it's pretty close) and traveling with my younger sister. The former because, like Cory, I want to add another continent to my tally. The latter because I can't wait to share a European adventure with my baby sis before she spends a semester in Austria. We haven't decided where we are going yet, but I know that it will be unforgettable!

What are your goals for the next year?

Cory
I am hoping to continue to improve my writing skills in my time away from full-time employment. Maybe this can turn into something more than a hobby for me. Having the daily blog post is a nice goal, and other writing projects force me to write in different formats for non-personal-blog audiences. With more practice, I hope to be able to communicate clearly and easily in all of the genres of freelance writing. 

Sara
I do not want to become complacent. I feel as though we have adjusted well to living in a foreign country far from home, but I do not want to allow myself to become lazy. I want to keep learning new things about Ireland and visiting new places. I think that after a year it might be easy to stay in the comfort zone that we have carved out for ourselves here. My goal is to keep pushing us to explore and take full advantage of living here.

Whew! That was an exciting week of anniversary retrospectives! We have certainly learned, grown, and changed a lot in one year away. After having looked at how much our habits and viewpoints have changed in the last year, we are excited to see that we are still flexible and open-minded enough to make such big changes comfortably. We're glad we did this series this week- not just for readers, but for ourselves! We can't wait to look at these posts next July to see what has changed in two years in Dublin! Will we have learned everything? We doubt it, but we are looking forward to smiling at the young, naive, Cory and Sara of today, just as we read the old posts from last Summer and smile at that Cory and Sara.


Cera Sara and Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we'd love to hear what you think! Comments are word verified to prevent SPAM.